Work Module 5, Office 606, 6th floor work
- Work experience
- Oct 13 - Associate Professor (Profesor Contratado Doctor), Department of Theory of Condensed Matter, Universdad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain.
- Oct 08 - Sep 13 Ramon y Cajal fellow, Department of Theory of Condensed Matter, Universdad Autonoma de Madrid, Spain.
- Oct 06 - Sep 08 Research associate & EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council) Advanced Research Fellow, Rudolf Peierls Centre for Theoretical Physics, Department of Physics, Oxford, UK.
- May 02 - Sep 06 Research associate & EPSRC Postdoctoral Fellow, Theory of Condensed Matter group, Department of Physics, Cavendish Laboratory, Cambridge, UK.
- May 02 PhD in Physics at Scuola NormaleSuperiore, Pisa, Italy. Thesis: “Phase Coherence Phenomena in Normal and Superconducting Disordered Systems” (supervisors: S. Caracciolo, G. Jona-Lasinio, B. Simons).
- Jul 98 Degree (MSc) in Theoretical Physics at the Department of Physics, University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Italy (First-class honours). Diploma thesis: “Magnetic Field Induced Symmetry Breaking in the 2+1-dimensional Dirac Field Theory: Analysis of the Vacuum Structure” (supervisor: G. Jona-Lasinio).
Honors and Awards
- Fellowships & grants: 5 year Ramon y Cajal Fellowship (Spanish Ministery for Education and Science); 5 year EPSRC Advanced Research Fellowship; 2 year Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship (declined); 3 year EPSRC Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Colleges: 2 year Junior Research Fellowship, Mansfield College, Oxford,UK; 3 year Junior Research Fellowship Wolfson College, Cambridge, UK.
My current research develops across both fields of solid state and atomic physics with common themes such as “collective phenomena”, “strong correlations”, “macroscopic phase coherence” and “superfluidity” in systems in and out of equilibrium. Thanks also to the unprecedented sophistication reached in experiments, both areas provide a flourishing playground in which to explore quantum many-body phenomena.
- F.M. Marchetti and M.M. Parish, “Density-wave phases of dipolar fermions in a bilayer”, Phys. Rev. B 87, 045110 (2013). [URL, archive]
- M. M. Parish and F.M. Marchetti, “Density instabilities in a two-dimensional dipolar Fermi gas”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 108, 145304 (2012). [URL, archive]
- G. Tosi, F. M. Marchetti, D. Sanvitto, C. Anton, M.H. Szymanska, A. Berceanu, C. Tejedor, L. Marrucci, A. Lemaitre, J. Bloch, L. Vina, “Onset and dynamics of vortex-antivortex pairs in polariton OPO superfluids”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 036401 (2011). [URL, archive]
- F.M. Marchetti, M.H. Szymanska, C. Tejedor, D.M. Whittaker, “Spontaneous and triggered vortices in polariton OPO superfluids”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 105, 063902 (2010). [URL,archive]
- Sanvitto, F.M. Marchetti, M.H. Szymanska, G. Tosi, M. Baudisch, F.P. Laussy, D.N. Krizhanovskii, M.S. Skolnick, L. Marrucci, A. Lemaitre, J. Bloch, C. Tejedor, L. Vina, “ Persistent currents and quantised vortices in a polariton superfluid”, Nature Physics 6, 527 (2010). [URL, archive]
- F. M. Marchetti, Th. Jolicoeur, and M. M. Parish, “Stability and pairing in quasi-one-dimensional Bose-Fermi mixtures”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 103, 105304 (2009). [URL, archive]
- J. Keeling, F. M. Marchetti, M. H. Szymanska, and P. B. Littlewood, “Collective coherence in planar semiconductor microcavities”, Semicond. Sci. Technol. 22, R1 (2007). [URL, archive]
- M. M. Parish, F. M. Marchetti, A. Lamacraft, and B. D. Simons, “Finite temperature phase diagram of a polarised Fermi condensate”, Nature Physics 3, 124 (2007). [URL, archive]
- J. Kasprzak, M. Richard, S. Kundermann, A. Baas, P. Jeambrun, J. Keeling, F. M. Marchetti, M. H. Szymanska, R. Andre',J. L. Staehli, V. Savona, P. B. Littlewood, B. Deveaud, Le Si Dang, ``Bose-Einstein condensation of exciton polaritons'', Nature 443, 409 (2006). [URL]
- F. M. Marchetti, J. Keeling, M. H. Szymanska, and P. B. Littlewood, “Thermodynamics and excitations of condensed polaritons in disordered microcavities”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 96, 066405 (2006). [URL, archive]