To view a member’s profile, click on their name.
Fernando Flores SintasEmeritus ProfessorFirst-principles Atomistic Simulation Techniques
- Born, 19 February 1939, Cartagena, Spain.
- Married: Araceli. 1 son; 3 daughters.
- Engineer, Politechnic, Madrid, 1963.
- Degree in Physics, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, 1966.
- PhD Degree, Politechnic , Madrid , 1970.
- Post Doctoral Fellow, Research Council, Madrid, 1970-76.
- University of Lille, France, 1976.
- Imperial College, London , 1977.
- Full Professor in Teorical Condensed Matter Physics, Autonomous University of Madrid, from 1978.
- Emeritus Professor, 2009.
- Full Professor, Madrid, 1978.
- Visiting Professor, Oxford, UK, 1981.
- Head of Department , Autonomous University, Madrid , 1981-1996 and 2001-04.
- Head, Institute of Materials Science , Autonomous University of Madrid, Madrid , 1993-1996.
- Head , Condensed Matter Group, Spanish Physical Society, 1981-85.
- Board, Condensed Matter Group, European Physical Society, 1987-93.
- Board, Advisory Committee of the Ministry of Science and Technology, 1997-2000.
- Adjunct Professor, Waterloo University (Canada) 2002.
Honors and Awards
- American Physical Society Fellowship, 1987.
- Golden Medal of the Spanish Physical Society, 1991.
- Iberdrola Prize, 1993.
- Spanish National Prize of Physics “Blas Cabrera”, 2001.
- Medal of the Spanish Association of Civil Engineers, 2004.
- Semiconductor Surfaces, Interfaces and Nanostructures Prize, 2011.
- American Physical Society.
- Spanish Physical Society.
- Spanish Association of Civil Engineers.
- Organic Materials.
- Many-body Theory.
- Around 400 papers in international journals and condensed matter series.
- Several books including: “Introduction to the Theory of Solid Surfaces” (Cambridge University Press), “Interaction of Charges and Particles with Solids and Surfaces” (Plenum).
- Supervisor of 27 Ph.D. thesis.
- Coordinator of more than 20 research projects.
- H-index: 49.